You can’t get much more versatile then Morgan Freeman. To celebrate his 75th birthday today let’s take a look at his incredible career including my vote for his top 10 films, and 5 facts you may not know about the man with the golden voice.
Morgan’s acting career began 48 years ago over which he has earned dozens of awards and honors. Since the 1980s he has been typecast as the wise fatherly figure, a role that he pulls off better then anyone. But I think if you asked 10 different people you’d have 10 different picks for his top 10 films… there’s just so many to choose from. Here are my favorites with some oddball picks for fun!
1. Street Smart – 1987
Morgan pulled in his first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations for his role as a the witty pimp named Fast Black.
2. Glory – 1989
I remember watching this film in American history class, and Freeman is fantastic as the inspirational leader of the first all-black infantry regiment to fight in the American Civil War.
3. Driving Miss Daisy – 1989
Not exactly my kind of flick, but it deserves to be on the list as a great period piece (set in Georgia during the 1940s, 50s, and 60s) that explores racism and an unlikely friendship between a wealthy widow and her chauffeur. It won the Academy Award for Best Picture, and Freeman was nominated for Best Actor.
4. The Shawshank Redemption – 1994
This has to be the movie I’ve watched more times then any other… for some reason you just can’t turn it off. Def one of my all time favorites and no surprise that Freeman was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe.
5. Seven – 1995
Brad Pitt was the star of this thriller, but his role is complimented perfectly by the older, wiser detective played by Freeman.
6. Bruce Almighty – 2003
I know, I know, this one probably doesn’t belong on any kind of top 10 list, but the casting of Morgan Freeman as God was spot on.
7. Dreamcatcher – 2003
Okay let me preface this pick by letting you know this movie is ridiculous. The book by Stephen King was much better, but for some reason I’ve watched this film more then once. Freeman’s character is hilarious as a renegade military Colonel who has lost his mind after years of hunting down aliens.
8. Million Dollar Baby – 2004
Great cast, great director, and great story from start to finish. Winner of 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture, and Freeman’s first for Best Actor in a Supporting Role.
9. Batman Begins – 2005
Morgan didn’t have a huge role in this one, but every Batman fan I know was so relieved when Christoper Nolan successfully revamped the series that Freeman deserves a shout out for a well played Lucius Fox.
10. Invictus – 2009
Morgan Freeman had wanted to depict Nelson Mandela for a long time before he bought the rights to this story. This story about the Springboks South African rubgy team was truly inspirational, and Freeman was nominated for a slew of awards for his performance.
And now 5 things you may not know about Morgan Freeman
1. He served for five years in the U.S. Airforce as a mechanic.
2. He owns 3 airplanes of various sizes and is licensed to fly all of them.
3. He was presumed dead on twitter in 2010 and his publicist had to work overtime to quell the rumors.
4. He is left-handed but lost the use of his fingers from a serious car accident in 2008.
5. His great-great-grandparents were once slaves from North Carolina before moving to Mississippi.
- Wanna See an Unbelievable Red Carpet Gown from Cannes?
- 7 Things Girls Will NEVER Tell You!
- Vote: Sonam Kapoor’s Red Carpet Looks at Cannes
- Get This Look: Sonam Kapoor In Elie Saab
- Ishkq in Paris is Inspired by Preity Zinta’s Life
- Exclusive: Vijay Verma & Raghav Sachar’s Cannes Photo Diary II
- Sonakshi Sinha Takes Lessons from Salman Khan!
- 10 Things to Look Out for in The Reluctant Fundamentalist
- Shankar Mahadevan Pledges to Fight Malnutrition
- Photos: Ranbir Kapoor & Deepika Padukone Get Close Up.