It was fashion for a good cause as Shabana Azmi’s NGO Mijwan Welfare Society, in association with Manish Malhotra, hosted a very special runway show which featured many prominent Bollywood stars walking the ramp. Show-stoppers included Imran Khan, Sameera Reddy, Kalki Koechlin, Dia Mirza, Malaika Arora-Khan, Prabhudeva, Parineeti Chopra, Chitraganda Singh, Prateik Babbar, Imtiaz Ali, and everyone’s favorite Olympic sensation Mary Kom.
Mijjwan – a tiny village in Uttar Pradesh has been adopted by the NGO and aims to provide a livelihood to it’s residents. The Mijjwan female community specially embroidered all the outfits, which was then used by Malhotra in his designs.
“In the globalised world of Fashion today it’s pointless to offer silhouettes to the West. But we have craftsmanship which they do not. This is our USP and that’s what we need to focus on. Mijwan to me is a microcosm of what India has to offer the world. We have a long history of the warp and weft of design aesthetics. It’s time we rediscover ourselves and go back to our roots,” says Manish Malhotra.
Doesn’t she look great?! You forget when looking at this pic that she can probably knock any of us out with a single punch!
- Ishkq in Paris is Inspired by Preity Zinta’s Life
- Exclusive: Vijay Verma & Raghav Sachar’s Cannes Photo Diary II
- Sonakshi Sinha Takes Lessons from Salman Khan!
- 10 Things to Look Out for in The Reluctant Fundamentalist
- Shankar Mahadevan Pledges to Fight Malnutrition
- Photos: Ranbir Kapoor & Deepika Padukone Get Close Up.
- The Anatomy of Luck. (And How to Get Laid!)
- Get This Look: Shaheen Abbas in ASOS and Alexander McQueen
- Behind the Scenes: Alia Bhatt & Imtiaz Ali Shoot in Picturesque Kashmir for ‘Highway’
- A Week in the Life of MissMalini.com