Google turns 14 today, not old enough to drink but those hormones are sure kicking in! *lol* so I figured I’d share 14 fun facts about Google on this special day, ready? 1.. 2.. #geekchic!
Plus here’s a question! What do YOU think is the MOST Googled word EVER? Post a comment below you could win MissMalini goodies. (Please mention your city!)
1. The name ‘Google’ was an accident. A spelling mistake made by the original founders who thought they were going for ‘Googol’ – (Googol is a mathematical term 1 followed by one hundred zeroes.)
2. The infamous “I feel lucky” is nearly never used. However, in trials it was found that removing it would somehow reduce the Google experience. Users wanted it kept. It was a comfort button.
3. This was Google’s First Ever Tweet!
For anyone not fluent in binary, here’s a hint — it’s a well known phrase from the company’s homepage. Got it? Yep, it reads: “I’m feeling lucky.”
4. Google rents goats. No kidding. It rents goats from a company called California Grazing to help cut down the amount of weeds and brush at Google HQ. The operation of 200 goats (plus a herder and border collie) is kind to the environment, and as Google puts it: “A lot cuter to watch than lawn mowers.”
5. The Google Logo Was Not Centered Until 2001. Google’s famously sparse homepage is considered a classic design in the online world. The Google logo, however, wasn’t actually centered on the page until March 31, 2001, it used to be left-aligned and back in 1998 — Google sported a Yahoo-style exclamation mark! The prime reason the Google home page is so bare is due to the fact that the founders didn’t know HTML and just wanted a quick interface. In fact it was noted that the submit button was a long time coming and hitting the RETURN key was the only way to burst Google into life!
6. This was the first Google Doodle! An “out of office” message created in 1998 to show that Brin and Page took the weekend off to go the Burning Man festival in Nevada and wouldn’t be able to fix technical issues.
7. The informal Google motto “Don’t be evil” is a reference to their corporate philosophy which says that you can make money without being evil. It was coined by Paul Buchheit, the man behind Gmail.
8. Users can search for content in 35 non-English languages, including Chinese, Greek, Icelandic, Hebrew, Hungarian and Estonian. To date, no requests have been received from beyond the earth’s orbit, but Google has a Klingon interface if they decide to make contact one day.
9. Inside the Google company, the staffers are commonly called “Googlers” while new team members are referred to as “Nooglers.” Nooglers are required to wear a colorful beanie with a spinner on top. But according to a former employee, those hats were already unusual in some companies, so Google then announced: “Every Noogler gets a yellow smiley balloon and a nameplate.”
10. 5,707 years. How long it would take to do a manual search of Google’s 3 billion Web pages, at one minute a page.
11. Google names it’s operating systems after desserts. First there was the Cupcake, Donut, Éclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and now, the Ice Cream Sandwich. Named alphabetically to note chronological order of their updates. Google actually has built statues of these various Android desserts. They sit on the lawn at the company’s headquarters in Mountain View, California.
12. The world’s most Googled celebrities include: Angelina Jolie, Paris Hilton, Taylor Swift, Lindsay Lohan, Avril Lavigne, Adele, Selena Gomez, Beyonce, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Kim Kardashian, Shakira, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Nicki Minaj, Cher, Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga.
13. 300 years. How long it would take Google to put the entire world’s information online.
14. The original name of Google was Backrub. They called it that because the algorithm ranked pages based on how many “back links” a page had, obviously the name suggested a whole lot of something else! xoxo
- Get This Look Make-Up: Aishwarya Rai’s Shimmery Lids
- Tusshar Kapoor to Launch His Own Production House
- Why YOU Love Barun Sobti! #CelebrityLoveFest
- Get This Look Make-Up: Sonam Kapoor is Pretty in Pink
- MTV to Sell Sexy Lingerie?
- Get This Look Make-Up: Freida Pinto’s Red Lips
- Has Ameesha Patel Over-Packed for Cannes?
- Lainey Lui Says Gossip Has an Eco-System!
- Win Exotic Wall Art by Krsna Mehta
- Bombay Talkies Goes to Cannes