The Kardashian SyndromeSerena Vora , 25 Apr 2011
Kardashian Family Christmas Card 2010 (Photographer: Nick Saglimbeni)
I’ve always been a fan of reality television shows be it The Hills, Roadies, Big Boss or American Idol, it’s my guilty pleasure. But one show I never got around to watching was Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I never understood why the Kardashian sisters’ 15 mins of fame hadn’t yet ended. How was it possible that instead of canceling their show after 5 seasons they’ve managed to create even more successful spinoffs; launch fashion boutiques and fragrance lines; are spokes-people for reputable brands and have more influence on Twitter than Oprah and Barack Obama. I finally succumbed to watching an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians a few weeks ago in the middle of the day (one of the many benefits when you quit your job) and haven’t missed an episode since. I was pleasantly surprised by the show and the family, they’re not dim-witted rich girls living in Hollywood; they’re marketing geniuses! In 2010 the Kardashian family made a whopping $65 million!
For those of you who are as lost as I was here’s the lowdown on the Kardashian Family:
- Kourtney, Kim, Khloé and Rob Kardashian are children of the late celebrity lawyer Rob Kardashian and the world’s best momanger Kris Jenner.
- Produced by Ryan Seacrest, there have been 5 seasons of Keeping Up With The Kardashians and 3 spinoffs, Kourtney and Khloé take Miami, Kourtney and Kim take New York and Khloé & Lamar.
- Besides gracing covers of fashion magazines, the most flamboyant of the clan Kim Kardashian has released a series of workout videos; is the co-founder and chief stylist of ShoeDazzle and is producer of the reality TV show The Spin Crowd and has a few fragrances to her name. Her endorsements include: fast-food chain Carl’s Jr., Muscle Flex VATA athletic wear, Skechers; a cupcake flavor from Famous Bakery in Los Angeles (titled Va-Va-Va-Nilla). Kim recently released a song, Jam (Turn it Up) for charity purposes, Kanye West made a special appearance in the video. To top it off, as of today she has 7.2 Million Followers on Twitter and is considered one of the most influential Twitter users.
- The trio of Kim, Kourtney and Khloé Kardashian own 3 fashion boutiques across LA, New York and Miami; launched an Armenian inspired jewelry line; have a fashion line available at Bebe; created a sunless tanner called Kardashian Glamour Tan; have written a book titled Kardashian Konfidential and endorse weight-loss supplement Quick Trim.
- The eldest daughter Kourtney Kardashian has a son with partner Scott Disick; Kim is currently dating NBA player Kris Humphries and Khloé is married to NBA Los Angeles Lakers star Lamar Odom.
You can watch Season 3 of Keeping Up With The Kardashians on Zee Café tonight at 9:30.