Expat Unplugged: Five Things FridaysAndrea , 05 Aug 2011
For me, this weekend will be spent trying to solve “The Case of the Pan Card and the Wrong Address” as well as sorting out my visa extension while daydreaming about horses, big hats and refreshing drinks. Why those things, you might ask? Because my magnificent friends and I are spending the long holiday weekend in Pune watching horses gallop away at the derby. Yay!
This Friday, let’s continue the daydreaming and talk all about derbies. Keep an eye out for derby fashion on MissMalini next week!
We’re going to the Derby
Talk the Talk – Lingo You Should Brush up on Before the Race:
- Chalk – the favorite in a race
- Backstretch – straight section of the racetrack opposite the grandstand
- Field – the number of horses in the race
- Post – starting gate (6-10 are the best, 1 and 20 are the worst)
- Purse – the race’s cash prize
Five Random Derby Facts:
- A trifecta involves picking the first, second and third place finishers in the correct order.
- Colts are boys. Fillies are girls.
- If you are nervous about last minute changes on the field when placing a bet, it is best to wait until 10 minutes before post time.
- What’s post time you ask? It’s the starting time of the race.
- The Mint Julep is the traditional drink of the derby
Five Ingredients of a Mint Julep
- Fresh Mint Sprigs
- Bourbon Whiskey
- Powdered Sugar
- Shaved or Crushed Ice
What are you daydreaming about today?