Coleen Khan has steadily established herself as a leading expert on hair in India. Running a highly successful salon in Mumbai the former model dishes out how to get hair like Kareena Kapoor and the season’s hottest trends.
Team MissMalini: What’s the easiest way to get hair like Kareena Kapoor?
Coleen Khan: The overall look is very long & bouncy, center parted that again comes across as a very seventies appearance. The make-up is bold, with the eyes enhanced as the main feature. It’s a great night look.
1. After towel drying clean hair, apply a serum.
2. Use either rollers or tongs, may be very large Velcro rollers to roll the hair in the direction you want it to settle – has to be done after sectioning the hair.
3. When you release the rollers don’t brush the hair at all, let it fall naturally
4. Finish with shine spray
1. If you are using curling tongs or iron you need to hold it vertically and start curling from the nape of the neck to the top of the head.
2. Hold each curl for a min at least before letting it loose.
3. Again leave natural, don’t brush
4. If you lift each section of the hair and hair spray at the roots and finally blast dry it can give you more volume per section, making the hair look bigger & fuller.
TeamMM: Can you tell us a bit about her look in Heroine?
CK: She is looking completely stunning over all, very fresh, her styling is contemporary & modern like her make – up. Her hair is healthy & shiny.Western or Indian, it can adapted to look gorgeous in both avatars.
TeamMM: What are the hottest hair trends for this season?
CK: The main trends are as follows: Long & bouncy is the new drift, modern versions of the seventies centre parted and soft waves that frame your face not making it over the top. Hair can be slightly layered at the back & layered higher in the front. For short hair rock an edgy look with a short fringe. Also colour is very big this season.
TeamMM: Best piece of advice on hair care?
CK: My top 10 are as follows:
1. Shampoo & conditioning regularly for cleansing & moisturizing. Head & Shoulders has a great range.
2. Consult a stylist for your hair type and then use products according to your hair type
3. Get a haircut every 6 weeks
4. For those who colour, take the section that frames your face & color with a shade or two lighter to brighten up the face
5. Do a home hair spa- by putting deep conditioner once a week after shampooing & conditioning, after massaging your hair with it cover with a moist warm towel & place a large shower cap over that, leave for 20 minutes and rinse it off. You will notice instant smoothness in hair
6. Fine hair- tends to droop, so hold a section of the hair just at the root & tease it lightly with a brush, toss your hair upside down, spray the roots lightly with a hair spray, finally flip it back for instant volume.
7. Coloured, permed or straightened hair has to be protected from sun- either cover with cap or a duppata, otherwise you can dab a little bit of conditioner before stepping out in the sun or going for swimming etc
8. If you hate the new hair cut you got – don’t immediately run out to fix it, try and wait for a week, give it time and practice styling in different ways that suit you. If you still don’t like it you can change the haircut
9. Have nutritious food and a balanced diet
10. Modernize your look often – don’t be afraid of change.
TeamMM: What’s your favourite look of hers from the movie?
CK: I think the one I just decoded, wavy hair suit most Indian women, it’s flattering to the face & body type.