You’ve seen ALL the pictures but how would you like a fly-on-the-wall feel of the night from 10pm to 7am? Yup, I thought you might so I made some calls and got the scoop :) I hope you’re thirsty cos this Bollywood party gossip is gonna be extra juicy! xoxo
1. For one night only Yash Raj Studios was transformed into India’s, beyond glamorous, answer to the Kodak theatre – vintage and oh-so-classy. No expense spared, no element unplanned. The roads in Andheri leading up to the studio redirected to have traffic flow one way only, to the paparazzi lined red carpet that was miles long and decorated with YRF framed film posters. In fact, the security was SO tight, each car had to have a special access sticker to even be allowed on the star studded path.
2. Rani Mukerji (who’s been dating Aditya Chopra forever) was clearly intent on playing hostess with the mostess at the Jab Tak Hain Jaan premiere. Even though the “official” welcoming committee included Anushka Sharma, Katrina Kaif, Uday & Pam Chopra and Shah Rukh Khan (unwilling to let either of his leading ladies go!) greeting everyone individually at the end of the red carpet (before the guests entered the studio)…
Rani did everything one does to solidify loud and clear that she’s the family bahu-to-be (just in case there was any doubt!) She was spotted informally greeting and ushering people in at the entrance of the movie theater after cocktail hour. So much so that everyone was slightly amused at the animated manner in which she was ordering and pointing the staff around (even though there really wasn’t much for her to do since the event was planned to perfection by the YRF crew to begin with.) Ah Bollywood, your parties and events never disappoint!
3. The pre-screening VIP cocktail section was further divided into a VVIP area where the Bollywood celebrity mega A-List, about 20 elite deep hung out, even more privileged than the already extremely exclusive guest list. Think Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan – yeah, you get the idea.
4. After the movie, everyone moved up to the 4th floor where they had a HUGE garden party for all 900 guests, including those who didn’t attend the premiere but still came to celebrate afterwards (like the Rakesh & Hrithik Roshan clan.) It had always been Yash Chopra’s dream to host a special event in the garden which he so loved and in his memory Bollywood represented and how. I bet his smiling soul had an SRK moment watching Bollywood’s finest boogie till dawn to songs from his most epic films!
5. Amitabh Bachchan was the man on the terrace party. He shmoozed the room in top form and everyone paid their respects to the undisputed Badshah of Bollywood. Oh and apparently he smelled great too!
6. Aamir Khan at one point was spotted face down with his arms out-stretched infront of him (upstairs on the terrace at the reception) much to Rani’s surprise (and amusement!). While some may have thought he tripped and fell he was definitely doing it on purpose, I’m guessing maybe in a grand gesture of respect to Yash Chopra and the YRF family or he could simply have been planking, although then he’d be a couple of years behind the curve. *lol*
7. Then it was down the stairs to the 3rd floor where there was a small club type venue set up for the remaining 100 people to start dancing! There was a podium on the dance floor where Amitabh Bachchan enacted out all the moves to Jumma Chumma, signature Big B style. In fact SRK and Abhishek Bachchan kept taking turns jumping up on it to do different moves in between suddenly remembering a song they wanted to hear and charging to the DJ, who I hear did his epic best to keep up – CDs flying off the deck! Even Aishwarya Rai made an appearance to bring the house with to Kajra Re.
8. Anushka Sharma is a fire-cracker on the dance floor. Not only does she light up the screen with her smile and hip shake in the actual movie, she continued to bring the party at the after party with her adorable desi moves.
9. I was intrigued to hear the Bollywood food chain becomes crystal clear at events like these. Some people are totally in their element, like the Bachchan’s, SRK, KJo etc. (Imran Khan and Ranveer Singh were particularly cool and funny) Gauri Khan had an entourage 5 deep (mostly of 10-year-olds!) who floated in and out of rooms at her behest…
And then there are those having their awkward prom nerd moment… Shahid Kapoor I’m sad to hear is a bit of a divo and so considered to be the Bollywood brat. As a result he spent a lot of his time alone off to the side. *Awww*
Also Bipasha Basu tried her best to mingle too but may have flashed a tad more thigh than appropriate when dancing with the Big B. #JustSaying
Psst! Don’t you love how in the picture below it’s almost like she’s getting a disapproving glare from 1981? *LOL*
10. Katrina Kaif was fairly subdued all night, she made quiet conversation with a few people and even had a 20 minute chat with Rekha off to the side. At one point she had a Jab Tak Hain Jaan moment with SRK in the middle of the dance floor for 3 minutes and they both disappeared for a while, reappearing 45 minutes later and piquing quite a few curiosities!
Again, how amazing to see her staring at herself from that poster back in 1981. It’s almost surreal isn’t it?
11. Salman Khan was there too but stayed up on the terrace all night long and far away from the SRK camp. I guess everyone knows to play nicely at an event like this :)
SRK danced to Chammak Challo (Ra.One) and It’s the Time to Disco (Kal Ho Na Ho), Big B to Jumma Chumma (Hum) and Rang Barse (Silsila), Bips did her bit to Beedi (Omkara), while Abhishek was really fun and lively and inclusive. He danced to a whole bunch of songs and joined Shah Rukh for Shava Shava.
Pix: Yogen Shah for MissMalini