A hashtag is a word or a phrase prefixed with the symbol #. It is a form of metadata tagging. Short messages on microblogging and social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook, G+, Instagram, etc…
1. Spaces are an absolute no-no. Even if your hashtag contains multiple words, group them all together. #justlikethisthankyouverymuch
2. If you want to differentiate between words, use capitals instead #TakeThatSmallCaseLetters
3. Uppercase letters will NOT alter your search results, #ThatsWhatSheSaid will get the you the same results as #thatswhatshesaid
4. You can use numbers, no problem. Punctuation not so much so let your words do the emoting #LikeABoss
5. Facebook recently sucked it up and joined the hastag bandwagon too #HeresLookingAtYouTwitter!
6. People on Instagram hashtag way too much, but apparently it’s all very acceptable there (#RightAmu? #hashtagmuch #justsaying) As a rule keep it to 3 tags or less per post on any social channel or you’ll look like a spammer!
7. To be a good hashtager always make sure the hashtag is not already in use, keep it snappy, avoid commonly misspelled words, command attention and create a hashtag that that you can re-use Ex. #ThrowbackThursday
Leave me a comment below with your favorite hashtag so far on Twitter and I’ll tweet you you mine too :)
PS. And remember what Justin Tumberlake said and try not to take it too far :)