Ok, who doesn’t love music? So when the awesome peeps over at Saavn (Thank you Rishi & Vijay!) told me about launching their first ever commercial for Indian television I had a feeling I’d get goose bumps! They’ve featured a combination of actors, real people, and one very famous (and slightly Badtameez) Saavn fan for this epic love letter to music and the magic it brings to our lives! Well done Sneha Mehta & Teddy Stern, Team MissMalini wants to be in the next one please :) Love, MM xoxo
Check it out and discover 10 EXCLUSIVE things from behind-the-scenes, just for the readers of MissMalini.com, yay! :) xoxo
11 Things You Didn’t Know About This Saavn Ad!
1. Ranbir Kapoor is in it! After hearing a narration of the spot, he thought it would be cool to make a cameo appearance. As he said, “I use Saavn, not because I promote the app, but because it works. I listen to it when driving, between shoots… there’s no need to intellectualize it further.” Amen.
2. The Ranbir scene was shot at Studio 4 of the iconic and bustling Mehboob Studios in Bandra (West). We ran into Shah Rukh Khan, pulling up in his white Mercedes-Benz to film scenes for Farah Khan’s Happy New Year in the studio next door! Abhishek Bachchan was already on set. Also spotted? Farhan Akhtar and his wife Adhuna Akhtar, on location for a photo shoot!
3. The rest of the spot was shot at 20 different locations in Mumbai, including Worli Sea-Face, Madh Island, Bandra Bandstand, and Churchgate Station. Good thing the cast and crew had 2 weeks to get around – we all know how Mumbai traffic can be!
4. Recognize her? Farida Dadi played Mrs. Qureshi (Madhavan’s maa) in 3 Idiots. She is none other than famous child actress Baby Farida, who starred in Dosti and Ram Aur Shyam.
Farida turned down Dimple Kapadia’s role in Bobby, so she never worked with Ranbir’s father, but she did work with his grandfather, Raj Kapoor, on Sangam!
5. There’s nothing like luck by chance! While the crew was scouting in Bandra, these girls jumped into an iPhone snap. They were just excited to see filmmakers in their ‘hood. Their smiles and enthusiasm were so infectious that they were cast on the spot.
6. Ranbir Kapoor is the best. Like, really. He’s gracious, down-to-earth, and thoughtful to a T. He even offered us freshly-made espressos (dee-lish) in his trailer, which is decorated with only the coolest movie posters (Natch). And, surprisingly, he’s a real foodie! If you find yourself in town, try his recommendations for real Maharastrian seafood – Mahesh Lunch Home, Trishna, or Gajalee.
7. Telugu film fans will recognize Anupriya Goenka from the hit Telugu film Potugadu (2013). She also stole hearts across India as Priya, the protagonist of the UPA’s 100-crore Bharat Nirman ad campaign, last fall!
8. This is a real wedding! Saavn fans Brian & Anne heard the crew was looking for a wedding to crash, so he immediately proposed! Just kidding :) but they were gracious enough to invite the filmmakers to their beautiful East Indian/Koli Catholic functions to capture some very real moments of celebration.
9. These are real Saavn Team members! Meet Jayesh, Anuja, and Chirag, some of the superstars who work in the company’s Mumbai office. Here they are with more stellar Saavnites, dancing away on the roof of their Andheri office building!
10. This glamorous starlet is Sheena Shahabadi, the daughter of yesteryear actress Sadhana Singh. You may recognize her from her starring role opposite Ruslaan Mumtaz in 2009’s Teree Sang, directed by Satish Kaushik, or from her role as Amala in last year’s I, Me Aur Main.
11. The real stars of the production are the crew behind the camera. It took 15 men to lift this rickshaw into the set before Ranbir Kapoor arrived. That’s 40.67 kgs (89.47 lbs) per person – impressive!
Ranbir Kapoor stars in Saavn’s new ad. Be the first to watch it at: