For some, it is the ultimate weapon of seduction. For others, it is an instant pick-me-up. Red lipstick is something that is owned by almost every woman. Personally, I own about 4 red lipsticks, one can never have enough!
The first known users of red lipstick were the early Egyptians. The upper classes, clergy and royals would paint their lips with this bright hue that often contained poisonous substances. Red lipstick soon received resurgence in the 16th century, with Queen Elizabeth I often wearing it while powdering her face white. However, the preference of the colour wasn’t limited to just the royals; it became the choice of prostitutes. With the arrival of the Industrial Revolution, the red lipstick came into favour again. Soon ’20s Hollywood started sporting the hue on screen. Later, Marilyn Monroe and other actresses of her time propagated bold red lips. Now, red lips are an inseparable part of our beauty kit. Check out 10 red lipsticks for every budget.
Sabyasachi’s LFW Grand Finale collection winter/festive 2014 was centered around the red lipstick. Available for ₹650.
Stop traffic with Revlon’s Super Lustrous lipstick that glides on with just a swipe. Available for ₹550.
We love Bobbi Brown’s Red 2 that gives you instant Hollywood glam. Available at the Bobbi Brown flagship store in Delhi for ₹1390.
Containing marula oil, known for its moisturising properties and a subtle rose scent makes this lipstick a must-have. Available for ₹795.
If we ever want a pick-me-up, this vibrant shade would be it. L’Oreal’s Perfect Red is something we all want to have our paws on. Available for ₹825.
The price is unbeatable and the moisturizing properties make it a clear winner. Available at all Maybelline counters for ₹375.
Ruby Woo by MAC is a universal favourite and is known to flatter every skin tone. Almost every girl in TeamMissMalini owns it! Available at all MAC stores for ₹1190.
With SPF 15, this Clinique lipstick works double duty – colour and protection. Available for ₹1300.
Want to wear a darker hue of red? Snap up Inglot’s for ₹850.
Who doesn’t want to wear some Chanel on their lips? Available at Chanel beauty stores for ₹2100.
Vamp up with a touch of berry from Marks & Spencers. Available for ₹999.
Containing Pro-Xylane™, a powerful molecule that creates fuller and smoother lips makes us Lancôme – L’Absolue Rouge a best-seller. Available for ₹ 1750.
1. Lipstick will stay on longer and will not bleed if the whole lip is filled-in with lip liner.
2. To make lips look smaller, follow the inside of the natural lip line.
3. Use a touch of gloss in the middle of the lips to create the look of a fuller lip.
4. Darker lipstick makes lips look smaller – if you have thin lips stay away from dark colours.
5. Lipstick colour should match skin tone in intensity. For example, darker complexions can wear darker tones and lighter complexions look better in lighter tones.
6. Neutral shades match all skin tones.
7. Daytime lip color should be a little lighter.
8. Finish your lipstick application with applying concealer around the mouth to give it a clean look.
Note: Matte is the longest lasting lipstick, but it can dry the lips.