It’s kind of obvious – we’re a big bunch of Bollywood buffs here at the MissMalini HQs, and we know you are, too! After all, we feel a natural affinity towards other Bollywood addicts, mostly because we recognise in them the things we have a tendency to do ourselves! Here are 35 signs you know, without a doubt, that you’re a Bollywood junkie:
1. You judge your love life by Bollywood’s standards. And are therefore constantly disappointed.
2. No matter how many times your heart has been broken, you still believe that, “kahin na kahin, koi na koi mere liye zaroor bana hoga,” because the movies told you so.
3. You regularly throw in popular Bollywood phrases into daily life conversations. Main apni favourite hoon, right?
4. You have, on more than one occasion, asked your parents to “take a chill pill.”
5. If someone says, “I don’t like jokes,” the most appropriate response is, “I don’t like you.”
6. Growing up, you honestly believed that Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol were the perfect couple.
7. You remember exactly what you were doing when you first heard that Shah Rukh and Salman Khan hugged. You also did some sort of rendition of the Mere Karan-Arjun aayenge dialogue.
8. You remember weekends not by the dates, but by the film that released.
9. You try to find solutions to your real life problems by referring to situations in Bollywood films, as you truly believe some of them hold life lessons you need to learn. “What would Geet do?”
10. When someone named Rahul introduces himself, you mentally complete the sentence – naam toh suna hoga.
11. You go to Goa and pose at the Dil Chahta Hai fort.
12. You drop Andaz Apna Apna references casually into conversation, and are super disappointed if the other person doesn’t pick up on them. Luckily for you, we also invented a drinking game.
13. When asking your teachers for exam dates in school, you used Sunny Deol‘s taarek pe tareek line.
14. When people tell you they’re going on vacation – or just doing something interesting, out-of-the-box or daring – you tell them, “Jaa, jee le apni zindagi.”
15. On that note, you regularly complain to your parents that they haven’t given you your jaa jee le apni zindagi moment yet.
16. You have been, on occasion, tempted to run after a train just to see if a cute guy will stretch out his hand to help you up.
17. If someone is leaving you for any extended period of time, you have to use the, “Tussi jaa rahe ho? Tussi na jao,” line.
18. You’ve mentally choreographed Bollywood dance songs in your head just in case you’re called upon to perform at a sangeet at the last moment.
19. You have used the “Mere pass maa hai‘ line in response to the most absurd things.
20. You’ve been tempted to buy/wear something you’ve seen in a movie – like Shah Rukh’s Cool chain from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, or Deepika Padukone‘s earrings from Ram-Leela.
21. For you, “fancy dress party” means “dress up like your favourite Bollywood character.”
22. Whenever you’ve called someone a cheater, you’ve done it in the “Rahul is a cheater, he is a cheater, he is a cheater, CHEATER!” tone.
23. Whenever you go to watch a Bollywood movie about friendships, you mentally categorise your own friends as the different characters.
24. Just thinking about “Gogo ji, aapka ghagra,” makes you burst out into laughter. Like right now.
25. Your guilty pleasure is listening to wacky Bollywood ’90s songs.
26. You fondly remember the days when Karisma Kapoor was Karishma Kapoor.
27. You have no shame in going up to the DJ during an EDM night and requesting your favourite ghaati Bollywood item number.
28. You consider Mannat a proper tourist destination and either a) visit it if you’re in Mumbai on holiday, or b) take visiting family there if you live in Mumbai.
29. If you live in Mumbai, you’ve given rickshawallahs directions like, “Amitabh Bachchan ke ghar se right lena hai.” And they’ve understood you.
30. You can do a perfect Poo impersonation – “Tell me how it was!” “Kaun hai yeh, jisne dobara mudh ke mujhe nahin dekha?” “It’s raining men!” “What are we waiting for – Christmas?!” “B-i-t-c-h, I know.”
31. You and your partner like to recreate typical Bollywood poses for photos.
32. Switzerland is on the list of places you must visit, all thanks to Yash Chopra.
33. Challenging your friends to Bollywood QuizUp is your idea of a good time. Mostly because you always win.
34. You genuinely believe everyone needs to be playing a lot more antakshari.
35. You know the entire rap portion of Saturday Saturday and make sure to belt it out every. single. time.