I am a self confessed Instagram addict and it is one of my favorite phone applications, but printing these square photos can be a nightmare as most photo centers are not up to date yet on the new photo craze!
Below is a method for printing the 4”×4” square photos on a 4”×6” standard canvas that has worked flawlessly for me at multiple online print shops. (You can choose to keep the white frame, like I do, or chop it off for the perfect square photo.)
1. Download your photos on your computer. If they aren’t saved on your phone you can use sites like Statigram or Instaport.me to do this.
2. Open your photos in editing software. (For resizing, I use Photoshop, but any photo editing software that allows resizing should work.)
3. Adjust canvas size. This is adding white space to either side of the photo to make it the equivalent of a 4”×6” photo. To do this, select ‘Resize’ then ‘Canvas’
Here’s a chart in pixels to guide you in resizing:
Original Dimensions New Canvas Size
4. Ensure you photo is in the center of the canvas leaving an equal amount of white space on both sides and save the final changes.
5. Print! You can use these files to print online, offline, or even at home.
Optional: Cut off borders if you prefer no extra white space on the sides. And voila! Here’s a creative gift idea for you! :)