Have you heard of the 30-day squat challenge? If not, let me give you the lowdown. The challenge involves only one exercise. Yup, you guessed it! The squat. Completing the 30-day challenge promises a boost in your leg and butt muscles – but, you know, the key to the challenge is actually sticking to the 30 days until completion. We’ll start with 50 squats on day one and end up with 250 squats on day 30. Don’t worry… there are rest days incorporated into the challenge. Phew! I don’t know if before and after pictures are to be believed but from the looks of it this may be just what we needed for our very own Beyoncé booty. The only way to find out is by trying it out for ourselves. Remember technique is very important. Don’t ever compromise on it for the sake of speed.
First and foremost, let’s get the squat down right (see what I did there?)
1. Place your feet flat on the ground (shoulder-width apart).
2. Point your feet slightly outward rather than completely straight ahead
3. Keep your head up and look straight ahead
4. Bend at your knees as if there was an imaginary chair behind you
5. Tuck your abs in (a slightly arched back might be unavoidable and you’ll notice yourself leaning forward)
6. Lower yourself (keeping control) so that your upper legs are nearly parallel with the floor (you can extend your arms for balance)
It may be easier to understand by watching the video below:
If this is too easy for you or if you have already completed it before, spice things up and add a barbell to your challenge. For the barbell challenge, split your squats into separate sets of 5-7. For instance, do a set of 10 squats and repeat this 5 times (for a total of 50 squats). By adding the barbell you will want to take rest days after every squat day rather than every four days. If you want more information about this method, please ask me in the comments! Remember, technique is important. Don’t use barbells unless you have learned the proper technique and are comfortable using them in a safe setting like your gym. Incorrect use can lead to serious injuries in your back. I can’t emphasize enough how much technique is important.
I’ll take the challenge if you take the challenge. Let’s keep each other motivated! We can do it. Stay tuned for more #30dayfitness challenges. Keep us posted on your progress in the comments below. Ready? Set? Go!