26 Things We BET You Didn't Know About Maine Pyar Kiya!Shreemi Verma , 29 Dec 2015
It’s been 26 years since Maine Pyar Kiya released you guys! It’s like a year older than I am. Seriously, where does time fly? And how does Salman Khan manage to look so hot after so many years? How? Anyway, moving on, we searched every corner of the Internet and found little snippets and trivia about this iconic film. Check them out and let me know if I’ve missed anything!
1) Maine Pyar Kiya was first offered to Vindoo Dara Singh before Salman Khan finally got it!
Vindoo with Shah Rukh Askari
2) Shabina Dutt was the actress who auditioned before Bhagyashree for Suman’s role
3) This was the only film of Sooraj Bharjatya which had villains and action, till Prem Ratan Dhan Payo released this year.
4) Another actor, Faraz Khan was all set to play Prem but he fell seriously ill before the shoot.
5) Piyush Mishra was also considered to play Salman’s role
6) Sooraj Barjatya was quite tensed when he signed Salman for the film as he didn’t know if the son of one of the biggest writers in Bollywood (Salim Khan) would be impressed.
Sohail Khan, Arbaaz Khan, Salim Khan, Salman Khan
7) The film was dubbed in English and titled – When Love Calls and it was the biggest hit in the Caribbean market at Guyana. It dominated the box-office collections at Trinidad and Tobago.
8) Maine Pyar Kiya was also dubbed in Spanish and was titled – Te Amo.
9) Shabina Dutt (who had auditioned for Bhagyashree’s role) was the one who suggested Salman’s name for the movie as they had shot for an ad film together.
10) Salman Khan has not had the opportunity to meet Shabina even once after that.
11) After Salman Khan signed the film he recommend Mohnish Behl’s name for the role of the film’s villain.
12) Popular comedian Raju Shrivastava was also a part of this movie
13) At the 35th Filmfare Awards held in 1990, Maine Pyar Kiya won seven Filmfare Awards for Best Film, Best Music Director, Best Male Debut, Best Female Debut, Best Music Director, Best Male Playback Singer and Best Lyricist.
14) One of the biggest stars from the golden age of Bollywood, Nutan wasn’t too happy with her son Mohnish Behl’s decision to play a villain in Maine Pyar Kiya.
15) Nutan asked the Barjatiyas if they could offer him another role in the movie, but they assured her that his character will be remembered for a long time. Look how true that turned out to be!
16) Hip Hop artiste King Syze sampled the song ‘Kabootar Jaa’ for his song ‘Haters Beware’ featuring Planetary.
17) Talking about ‘Kabootar Jaa’, the pigeon’s name was Handsome!
18) The song ‘Mere Rang Mein Rangne Wali’ samples the song ‘The Final Countdown’ by the Swedish band – Europe.
19) Salman and Mohnish auditioned together for this film.
20) This was the first movie in which the costumes & accessories worn by the lead actors became so popular that they were up for sale.
21) Deepak Tijori was also shortlisted for the role of Prem
22) The scene where Salman Khan is telling Alok Nath that he will earn money has an error. In every shot of the particular scene, Salman’s position is different.
23) This is the movie where Salman Khan was first named Prem
24) Many consider Maine Pyar Kiya to be Salman’s debut movie, but he actually made his debut in Biwi Ho Toh Aisi
25) After adjusting for inflation, Maine Pyar Kiya is counted among the top 10 successful films of India.
26) Salman was not very keen on playing Prem as he never thought he could carry off a role like that!
What a movie!