10 things about Radhika Vaz that she elaborates on in her new book Unladylike, A Memoir.
1. The first time my vagina farted I was in Class 9. Some call this bad luck. I call it early development.
2. I was flat-chested for most of my youth which is why I continue to suffer major boob-envy.
3. My period came so late I thought I was a man. Some people still think I may be one but that is because of my ‘stache and sideburns.
4. As a teenager the best way to bond with your girl friends is by sharing secrets. Or watching porn together for the first time. Check out vintage hits like Pink Ladies and Pleasure Hunt – Part 1 the next time you get together with your posse. You are welcome.
5. The reason I love Madonna is because she told my generation that you could feel like a virgin even if you weren’t one thus leading to a surge in pre-marital sex without guilt. Which is the way it should be.
6. Like almost every college girl in the early-90’s I too wanted to be a model mainly because I didn’t want an actual job. Like almost every college girl in the early-90’s I had to get a job.
7. I briefly thought ‘people skills’ meant flirting.
8. During my 20’s my super-hero name was Vazi The Vomitor. I was the girl who drank too much at every party. Way too much.
9. I learnt that marriage is to Indian women what cocaine is to Charlie Sheen – we have to have it no matter how bad it may be for us.
10. I don’t have kids, I don’t want kids, and I have learnt that this, above all else, is what society at large deems a most unladylike sentiment!
Vaz is one of the country’s most well recognized stand-up comedians. Her book Unladylike, A Memoir is now available in bookstores across the country as well as on Amazon and Flipkart. To watch Unladylike, The Show on Jan 23 @St.Andrew’s, Mumbai, Jan 30 @FICCI, New Delhi and Feb 5 @Alliance Francaise, Bangalore click here. Follow her on Twitter at @radvaz!