F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is one of the most unforgettable shows in television history. I could watch it over and over again and not get bored. There will always be new theories and facts about this show that will be revealed by the fans and the makers. Thanks to them, here are some facts about Courteney Cox‘s character Monica Geller that might surprise you!
1) In season one, her apartment number is 5. However, later it is changed to number 20 to show that she has moved to a higher floor. Hence changing Joey Tribianni and Chandler Bing‘s apartment number from 4 to 19.
2) The episode The One With the Secret Closet is actually a door that leads backstage.
3) The mix of chairs on Monica’s dining table kept changing over the seasons.
4) The reason Monica wore more scarves and baggy clothes towards the end of the show was because Courteney was pregnant with her daughter Coco Arquette.
5) The refrigerator in Monica’s apartment was actually working and was stocked with food for the cast and the crew.
6) The poster behind Monica’s TV was actually to cover a hole. The hole was essentially used for cameras to film scenes on the other side.
7) Initially, Monica’s love interest was supposed to be Joey.
8) Courteney was originally asked to play Rachel Green but she chose to play Monica because she thought it was a “strong” character.
9) In the episode The One With the Soap Opera Party, Monica is seen reading a magazine called Mental_Floss which was actually suggested by Courteney’s husband David Arquette at the time.
10) All the characters were named after All My Children characters and Monica got her name from Monique Cortland.
11) The episode The One Where No One’s Ready was filmed completely in Monica’s apartment since the producers needed to save money and didn’t even feature any guest stars.
12) In the show, Monica is 3 years younger than her brother Ross Geller played by David Schwimmer. In reality, Courteney is actually 3 years older than him.
13) Jon Favreau who played Monica’s boyfriend Pete was initially offered the role of Chandler.
14) In season four, Monica cut her hair short because Courteney had streaks in them from her role in Scream 2 and it did not reflect well with Monica’s character.
Feel enlightened much?