2007 was an interesting time in Bollywood. We had a big fat Indian wedding of two major celebrities, we watched the beginning of one of the most high-profile relationships in Bollywood. India saw three of its top stars make their debut and the size zero revolution began, with the media trying to use the term every now and then.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was also an iconic time. And because we’re in a nostalgic mode, we collated a list of 24 interesting things that happened in Bollywood 10 years ago, which just proves how times change so quickly (by we, I mean myself and my favourite person Priyam Saha).
Check it out –
1) Abhishek and Aishwarya got married
Do you remember the amount of secrecy that surrounded this wedding? We had to depend on newspaper photos, news channels and of course, the magazine the family had given photo rights to. If Abhi-Ash had gotten married now, most of us would’ve posted their photos taken from social media.
2) Jiah Khan made her Bollywood debut
The late actress was one of the most promising faces to appear in Bollywood that year and her debut had caught the attention of many. Sadly, she took her life (or was murdered according to her mother) due to her toxic relationship with Sooraj Pancholi.
3) Deepika Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor made their debut
Deepika‘s movie Om Shanti Om completely demolished Saawariya at the box-office. The irony is that now, Deepika’s most frequent and fruitful collaborator is Sanjay Leela Bhansali, who had directed Saawariya.
4) Govinda and Madhuri Dixit made a comeback on the big-screen
Govinda got a new lease of life with David Dhawan‘s Partner, where he was starring with Salman Khan, Lara Dutta and Katrina Kaif. Madhuri returned from the United States after her marriage and kids and starred in Aaja Nachle.
5) Himesh Reshammiya made his Bollywood debut
6) Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor starred in Jab We Met and announced their break-up
People loved them together, but sadly things couldn’t last.
7) Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan made their relationship official
They walked hand in hand at Manish Malhotra‘s show and casually told the reporters that they were dating, like it’s NBD. Smooth.
8) Bipasha and John starred in this movie called Goal
And they were still a couple. A very loved one.
9) Kareena made size zero a thing in India
For her role in 2008’s Tashan, Kareena went on this diet where she became size zero, the term which was earlier used to just describe models became the biggest buzzword in India.
10) Aamir Khan made his directorial debut Taar Zameen Par
You still cry whenever you hear or watch Maa. We know. We do too.
11) Salman Khan was doing multi-starrers like Salaam-E-Ishq and Partner, he also did this ‘crossover’ film called Marigold, good times.
12) Arjun Kapoor was assisting Nikhil Advani in Salaam-E-Ishq, he was also dating Salman Khan’s sister Arpita Khan
13) Bollywood attempted to make it’s version of Sex and the City
Mahima Chourdry was Carrie Bradshaw, Rekha was Samantha, it was a disaster.
14) Shah Rukh Khan starred in one of his career defining roles as coach Kabir Khan in Chak De! India and gave Bollywood its biggest hit of the year – Om Shanti Om
15) Akshay Kumar had multiple super-hits in 2007 (somethings never change)
The most bankable star at the box-office, Akshay starred in Namaste London, Bhool Bhulaiyaa, Welcome and Heyy Babyy – each film made good money at the box-office. This year, Jolly LLB 2 and Toilet: Ek Prem Katha set the box-office on fire.
16) Amitabh was having an experimental year as he starred in two of Ram Gopal Verma’s passion projects – Nishabd and Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag.
They were both remakes of classics – Lolita and Sholay respectively, they were both disasters. Yet, Mr. Bachchan agrees to do movies made by RGV (Sarkaar 3). Interestingly, another film starring Amitabh Bachchan falling for a woman younger than him released in 2007. Cheeni Kam had Tabu play his love interest, and this one was quite successful. Props to the biggest actor in India for still experimenting with his roles.
17) Ranveer Singh was a copywriter
Before this talent ka voolcano shook the world with the 2010 release Band Baaja Baarat, Ranveer Singh had completed his education in the United States and was working as a copywriter for an ad agency in 2007.
18) Irrfan starred in three Hollywood projects in 2007
One of the most successful Indian actors in the world, Irrfan made headway into the West by starring in A Mighty Heart with Angelina Jolie, The Namesake with Tabu and Kal Penn and Wes Anderson‘s The Darjeeling Limited, co-starring Owen Wilson and Adrien Brody.
19) Sanjay Dutt went to jail
He was found guilty under the Possession of Arms Act, but he managed to get bail and star in films like Dhamaal (2007), Shootout at Lokhandwala.
20) Nawazuddin Siddiquee got his Bollywood breakthrough with Anurag Kashyap’s Black Friday
21) Shilpa Shetty won the UK reality show Big Brother (there was a movie starring Sunny Deol and Priyanka Chopra called Big Brother too, but that’s a different story)
It worked wonders in resurrecting her career. She also met her husband Raj Kundra there after becoming an international celebrity.
22) Neil Nitin Mukesh made a promising debut
After Johnny Gaddar he was pegged as the next best, but his subsequent films didn’t work at the box-office.
23) Deepika Padukone was reportedly dating Yuvraj Singh, before Ranbir Kapoor came into her life
24) Rakhi Sawant made her singing debut with this epic song
Underrated song this one is.
Which moment was the most iconic according to you? Tell us in the comments below.