In this day and age, we’re all about quick fixes. Got a headache? Pop a pill. Can’t sleep? There’s a medicine for that. Problematic skin? There is a plethora of OTC tubes and products that are full of chemicals to help you out with that. We have forgotten our roots while living in a modern lifestyle. Ayurveda, an ancient Vedic practice, has been followed in our culture for more than 5000 years. No matter what health issue you have, Ayurveda has a solution. So when I found out that I can fix my skin-related problems with the help of Ayurveda, I was pleasantly surprised! I recently visited Forest Essentials to have my skin analysed by an Ayurvedic doctor. She also helped me make a customised ubtan that’s been working wonders for my skin. Here’s how the experience went:
1. The Analysis:
When I visited the Forest Essentials store, I met the in-house Ayurvedic expert, Dr Akanksha. The session started off with a quick chat about my daily lifestyle habits and that’s all Dr Akanksha needed to figure out my dosha. She classified me as a Kapha dosha. Before I get into the details of my dosha, here are the three types of doshas in Ayurveda that govern people:
- Vatta: The Vatta dosha is ruled by the air elements. Those who have a Vatta dosha are creative and energetic. Their skin tends to be dry, dehydrated and prone to wrinkles.
- Kapha: The Kapha dosha is ruled by the water and earth elements. Those who have a Kapha dosha tend to be soft-spoken, kind and patient. They tend to be on the heavier side, have thick hair and they have oily skin.
- Pitta: The Pitta dosha is ruled by the element of fire. Those who have a Pitta dosha are passionate, ambitious and they make great leaders. They tend to be prone to skin inflammations and eruptions.
I found out that I am governed by the Kapha dosha and hence we made the ubtan according to this analysis.
2. Making The Mixture:
There was a vast variety of Ayurvedic powders to chose from while making a customised ubtan for my skin. However, since I am governed by the Kapha dosha, we chose ingredients that will suit my oily and acne-prone skin. Here are the ingredients we used to make my customised ubtan:
- 3 tsp of Base Ubtan: This powder was made with a mixture of over 52 herbs and lentils.
- 1/2 tsp of Neem Powder: Neem is a great anti-bacterial that helps unclog pores and keep oily skin at bay.
- 1 tsp of Multani Mitti: This powder is an alkalizing clay which helps control excess oil production in the skin.
- 1 gm of Ashwagandha: This powder is a great anti-oxidant and it helps protect your skin against free-radicals.
- 3 gms of Orange Peel Powder: Orange peel powder is extremely rich in Vitamin C and it helps brighten skin and fade acne marks.
3. My Verdict:
After having my very own customised ubtan, I was excited to use this concoction. Dr Akanksha advised me to use this ubtan to wash my face, twice a day. All I had to do was take a little bit of the mixture into the palms of my hands and mix in some rose water to form a paste. I used this paste to cleanse and mildly exfoliate my face. After using this customised ubtan for a few weeks, I have to say that my skin feels better and looks brighter! I think switching to natural ingredients and opting for traditional Ayurvedic skincare has really had a positive effect on my skin.
You can also buy products that are perfectly suited for your skin type. Head over to the closest Forest Essentials store to you and get your skin analysed by experts!
Follow @missmalinibeauty on Instagram for more updates.