I hate to break this to you, but makeup can be disgusting. Think about it, most makeup products are in a liquid format and to use them, you often have to use your fingertips which can be home to several kinds of germs. The makeup product that is most prone to bacterial contamination is a makeup sponge. Makeup sponges are usually made with foam, and they tend to absorb a lot of the product you use. Hence, if they’re not cleaned, the damp environment serves as a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. So if you use dirty makeup sponges, it’s like inviting breakouts to appear on your face. That’s why cleaning makeup sponges is essential if you want to preserve the health of your skin and prolong the life of your makeup sponge. So without any further ado, here are three ways you can clean your makeup sponge:
1. Cleanse And Rinse
This method is simple and quick. This method will gently clean your sponge, so it’s ideal to do after every use.
- Start by wetting your makeup sponge under running water and clean it with the soap of your choice. I’d recommend using baby shampoo since it’s gentle yet effective.
- After you’ve cleaned your makeup sponge, rinse it under running water, wring out the excess water and leave it to dry.
2. Soak And Scrub
This method will give you better results than the previous method. It will thoroughly clean your makeup sponge so you can do this method once a week.
- Start by filling a bowl of water with hot water and add some baby shampoo to it.
- Mix in the shampoo and dunk the makeup sponge in it.
- Let the sponge soak in the soapy water for ten to fifteen minutes and then scrub the sponge with some shampoo and water.
3. Microwave Method
This method will help you get rid of the bacteria present in the makeup sponge since there’s heat sterilisation involved.
- Fill a bowl with room temperature water and dunk your makeup sponge in it.
- Put this bowl into the microwave and microwave it for 30 seconds. Don’t microwave it for more than 30 seconds.
- Wait for a couple of minutes and then remove it from the microwave.
- After microwaving the sponge, the bacteria will be removed. After this, wash it with soap and water, and you’re good to go!
Follow @missmalinibeauty on Instagram for more updates.