Acne is something that all of us have most likely at least experienced once in our lifetime. This unfortunate skin condition not only affects your physical appearance, but it can also affect your self-esteem. Acne can be worse for some more than it is for others. Since people experience different kinds of acne, they also undergo various types of severities. The type of acne that is the most severe is cystic acne. This type of acne forms deep beneath your skin and is usually very painful. Here’s everything you need to know about it:
Why Does It Occur?
Cystic acne can occur on your skin for a variety of reasons. Commonly, teenagers, women, people with hormonal imbalances and people with oily skin are more likely to develop this type of acne. It can occur due to the following reason:
- A mixture of bacteria, dry skin and oil can clog your pores.
- It can occur if you have a hormone imbalance in your body.
- In some cases, foods that can affect your hormones (i.e. dairy) can also lead to this type of acne.
Symptoms Of Cystic Acne:
You can refer to the chart above to see how a cystic acne breakout looks like. Here are some other symptoms you can look out for:
- Pimples that are red and which are painful when touched
- Large pus-filled pimples
- If you experience acne that leaves scars behind, then it could probably be cystic acne.
How Can You Treat It?
Take it from someone who has dealt with this type of acne for over a decade, consult a dermatologist. Don’t fall prey to DIY home remedies, because cystic acne could also be an indicator of a bigger problem like PCOS or a hormone imbalance. So definitely get it checked out by a doctor and leave it in the hands of professionals.
If you have cystic acne, what do you do treat it? Let me know in the comments below.
Follow @missmalinibeauty on Instagram for more updates.