Whether you’re a minimal makeup kind of gal or love a full face we would argue that one item you can’t do without is a tube of mascara. While you might be able to eliminate almost everything if you’re in a pinch getting ready except your mascara. Here’s the problem though; if you find yourself with watery, itchy or stingy eyes, I hate to break it to you but you probably have a case of extra sensitive eyes or allergic to an ingredient. One swipe of the wrong mascara and your eyes might be watering up creating a smudged mess which is not cute! And if you wear contact lenses and it gets trapped? Ouch, it’s even worse. This is a sign that you may need to switch up your formula.
We know what you’re thinking, finding the best mascara is general is tough but now you have look for a highly specific product?—cue the never-ending journey. Don’t freak out just yet! Thanks to growing innovative formulas released in recent years we’ve found there’s actually some pretty good options that do an amazing job overall without irritating your eyes. And not to worry we’ve listed some fantastic foolproof picks below to get you started. However, before we get to that keep in mind everyone’s sensitivities are different so its tough to make any generalisations about ingredients to avoid. If you’re worried about any allergens please consult your doctor first.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when selecting the best mascara for yourself:
- Scan the label. Look out for the words hypoallergenic, allergy-tested, or ophthalmologist- or ophthalmologically-tested on the product’s packaging. They’re not just fancy words slapped on the bottle. It implies that the band did do some consultations with an eye doctor during the testing phase so the product might have the least amount of allergens. Although remember its not a 100% guarantee.
- Go back to basics. Avoid fibre mascaras that can have fleck fall into your eye and cause more irritation. Stay clear of any trendy new mascaras like coloured ones, or waterproof options. Go for more traditional formulas or even tubing mascaras. And always do a patch test.
- Replace your tube. When did you last purchase or open your tube of mascara? This could be the reason why your eyes itching. Chuck that bottle out ASAP. Remember to throw out your mascara every three months once opened. They are prone to bacteria buildup and continuing to use it is just tempting fate for an eye infection.
Keep scrolling to check out five gentle mascara formulas perfect for sensitive eyes that do it all:
1. Essence, Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara
Essence’s many mascaras are highly underrated! This particular one delivers very similar results in comparison to higher-end brands. The special tapered wand coats and separates each lash and the formula lasts throughout the day without flaking, smudging or clumping. Perfect if you’re looking for more fuller, longer and darker lashes, plus its great value for your money.
2. Tarte, Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-In-1
A cult favourite and the best selling mascara from Tarte’s range, the wand and formula in this bottle is like magic. Along with being hypoallergenic, ophthalmologist and dermatologist-tested, it’s safe for contact lens wearers too. It does it all; curling, lengthening, volumizing and conditioning your lashes without looking clumpy. Moreover, it’s a vegan, cruelty-free formula that’s void of parabens, phthalates, and mineral oil. What more could you want.
3. Clinique, High Impact Mascara
For years Clinique has built a beloved reputation for their gentle and irritation-free products. You really can’t go wrong with this one. Fragrance-free, allergy and ophthalmologist tested this freaking good mascara will give your lashes some major volume and definition with its pigment-packed wand. Get bold lashes without much effort in just one swipe.
4. NudeStix, Lash Lengthening Mascara
If you’re looking for more natural feathery lashes then this one’s just right. A great everyday mascara this is preservative- and fragrance-free but is also infused with peptide to strengthen your lashes over time. Plus all you need to take it off easily after a long day is just some warm water.
5. La Roche-Posay, Toleriane Volume Mascara
We saved the best for last. A brand is known for its sensitive skin this is the ultimate mascara for anybody with watery eyes. Designed for comfortable wear all day its micro-aerated formula creates volume without weighing down your lashes. Moreover, it’s a waterproof formula doesn’t smudge even if you’re sweating.
What’s your favourite mascaras for sensitive eyes? Let us know in the comments below.
Follow @missmalinibeauty on Instagram for