Mumbai Saga Director Sanjay Gupta Reveals That John Abraham Wanted A Theatrical Release

Shubanka Sridhar , 03 Mar 2021
John Abraham; Mumbai Saga poster (Source: Instagram | @thejohnabraham)
John Abraham; Mumbai Saga poster (Source: Instagram | @thejohnabraham)

The pandemic in the last year had changed the release plans of a lot of big projects in the Hindi film industry. While most of them chose to go for a direct-to-OTT release, a few films decided to wait it out until the theatres open up.

Mumbai Saga is one such film. In a recent conversation with Mid-Day, director Sanjay Gupta shares that though they were almost on the verge of selling it to Amazon Prime Video, it was John Abraham who pushed for a theatrical release since December, with Emraan Hashmi backing him up. Sanjay says that this support from both the actor’s gave them the confidence to take the risk and opt for a theatrical release.

Sanjay says that while he was doing the sound recording, he would imagine how the dialogues would sound while being played in the theatre. He says that someone has to take the leap and take this risk and that their film is like the litmus test to see if audiences come back to theatres so that other films have better scope.

Mumbai Saga also stars Rohit Roy, Suniel Shetty, Prateik Babbar, Gulshan Grover, Kajal Aggarwal and Mahesh Manjrekar in pivotal roles. The film is all set to release in theatres on March 19, 2021.

Related Stories

Related Stories

More Showbiz