One of the most essential things for the human body is sleeping. With the stressful lives we lead and everything we put our bodies through, the least we can do it give it some rest. It’s insane how dependent our bodies are on getting the necessary rest. In fact, it is said that food deprivation can be handled by the body, but it definitely cannot handle sleep deprivation. There’s a reason why people always suggest you to ‘sleep it off’ when you’re worried or confused about something. Sleeping helps the body repair the muscles and organs and helps increase blood circulation too. So, clearly, a good night’s sleep is extremely necessary for the body. Today, on World Sleep Day, we’ve got you a few fun facts about sleep you probably didn’t know! Scroll down for some WTFs.
1. Monday blues are the result of “Social Jet Lag”. Which basically means when a person sleeps late and wakes up later over the weekends as compared to weekdays.
2. If you take more than 5 minutes to sleep, it means you’re sleep deprived. It should take 10-15 minutes for an average person to fall asleep.
3. Fatigue is at an all-time high twice a day—2:00 AM and 2:00 PM.
4. You forget half your dreams within 5 minutes of waking up
5. Sneezing isn’t possible when you’re asleep
6. The brain cannot create new faces, so the people you see in your dreams are not random. You’ve met these people at some point in your life.
7. When a couple has a baby, for the first 2 years, both parents lose about 6 months of sleep.
8. Being sleep deprived for one night can cause the same effects on the brain than that of being drunk.
9. The feeling of falling in your sleep and then jerking yourself awake is called ‘hypnic jerks’ and are extremely normal.
10. If you find it hard to get out of bed every other morning, it might be a sign of ‘Dysania’ that could be a symptom of a deficiency or even depression.
So, if you’re the kind of person who stays up late or gets lesser sleep, we suggest you change that ASAP. Because sleep is bae!
Don’t forget to follow us at @missmalinilifestyle to never miss a beat!