IMHO one of the best feelings in the world is having fresh and clean hair. So when I heard about the ‘no-poo’ method for the first time I freaked out! Even just thinking about not washing my hair for a week gives me the chills. Although after reading dozens of positive testimonials I was extremely intrigued. So after doing some research, something that I never thought would happen, happened—I changed my opinion about the ‘no-poo’ method.
Think about it; we use harsh shampoos that are heavily loaded with artificial fragrances and ingredients like parabens and SLS. Using them several times a week must be wreaking havoc on our hair in the long term. So going the no-poo route and giving your hair a break may be a good idea. Now if you feel like throwing out your shampoo and following the no-poo method, here’s everything you need to know:
What Exactly Is The No-Poo Method?
In a nutshell, the no-poo method is not washing your hair with synthetic commercial shampoos. Until the 1800s people washed their hair once a month and gradually with time the frequency increased. It wasn’t until a few years back that people realised that over-washing their hair can do more harm than good. That’s when people started following this method to keep their hair healthy.
If you’re making such as a drastic change in your hair care routine it better have a long list of benefits amirite? Fortunately, the no-poo method has a lot of attractive benefits. Here are a few of them:
- That “clean” feeling you have after shampooing may actually be because the natural oils of your hair are stripped away. The no-poo method will clean your hair but without disturbing the sebum balance of your scalp.
- You’ll be washing your hair without any toxic ingredients so it’ll be better for your hair and scalp in the long run.
- This method is not only good for your hair but it’s also good for the environment. Think of all the shampoo bottles that won’t end up in the landfills.
- You’ll save your money since you won’t be washing your hair as much.
Like most things in life, this method is not free from flaws. Here are some cons that you should know before trying the no-poo method:
- It may not work on all hair and scalp types. If you have dandruff issues this method of washing your hair may not work out for you.
- If you have straight hair, your hair won’t be as efficient as curly hair when it comes to hiding an oily scalp. Curly hair tends to benefit more from the no-poo method since it hides the oil better and it looks more tamed after 1-2 days of a hair wash.
How Can You Follow The No-Poo Method?
Most women who do the no poo method, use a mixture of baking soda and water to cleanse the scalp of excess oil and dirt. This is followed by conditioning the ends of the hair with a diluted mixture of ACV and water. This method may be a bit too extreme for most of us, so we can use these gentle and toxin-free shampoos:
Deva Curl No Poo Original Cleanser | (Source: www.sephora.com)
Calia Purifying Shampoo | (Source: www.calianaturals.com)
Arata Maple Lemon Blueberry Shampoo | (Source: www.amazon.in)
If you’re following this method, then you should only wash your hair once or twice a week. The whole aim is to just let your hair thrive in its natural state.
Would you try out the no-poo method? Let us know in the comments.
Follow @missmalinibeauty for Instagram for more updates.