How Often You Should Wash Your Fabric Face Mask & The Right Way To Wash ThemSuruchi Patwary , 11 Apr 2020
As we’re still battling against the Coronavirus outbreak globally, health officials have recommended wearing face masks in public. This will help avoid the transmission of droplets of cough and sneeze from one individual to others. And while we’re all following the instructions strictly, there’s a couple of things a lot of people are still unsure about. Things like—How often should we wash our fabric Coronavirus face masks? What is the right way to wash the fabric masks? Huffington Post reached out to a few experts for the answers, scroll down to check them out.
Frequency Of Washing Face Masks
Fabric Face Masks By Lesia Kapinosova | www.shutterstock.com
- The CDC recommends washing our masks once a day at least.
- Emily de Golian, a board-certified dermatologist at Dermatology Consultants in Georgia said masks shouldn’t be worn for more than half an hour, as the dampness in our breath makes the mask less effective.
- Dimitar Marinov, assistant professor in the department of hygiene at the Medical University of Varna said that people who are frontline workers should ideally be washing their fabric masks every couple of hours.
Best Ways To Wash & Dry Our Fabric Face Masks
Fabric Face Masks E By Eddy Fahmi | www.shutterstock.com
- Rhodes said that masks are best cleaned by detergents that include bleach-like compounds or other such active ingredients.
- De Golian explained that the fabric masks should be washed in the warmest possible water that the fabric too can tolerate.
- Marinov advised that masks can be disinfected by either ironing or even tossing them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 160°F.
It is extremely important that we follow all the health and safety instructions necessary amid the outbreak.
Follow @missmalinilifestyle for more interesting updates.